Monday 23 April 2012

New GW Paints - Colour Range Comparison Chart

What? I have to learn those names - again?
A few weeks ago, my friends and I talked about the new paint range from Games Workshop and came to the conclusion that all of the new names - except for Khorne Red and Nurgling Green - were worse than the old ones. Okay, after the years we might have gotten sentimental about certain paint names (No Chaos Black anymore?!), but none of us understood why GW decided to rename its entire range.

Most of us, especially those who are fed up with GW's recent actions anyway, want to make the switch towards Vallejo paints. Vallejo products are high quality in general, their paints doubly so. One more reason for me to switch are GW's new paint pot lids, which don't stay open at all - a circumstance I find annoying when I just want to drybrush something or paint small details without my wet palette and need to use the paint out of the pot (and no, they don't dry out quick if you don't forget to close them again).

DakkaDakka has a paint colour range comparison chart (Web Version / JPEG Download) for all those who are confused with the new names or even those who want to make the switch to Vallejo paints (a service which GW's own comparison chart doesn't provide).

It's not that I'd throw away all my GW paints and buy hundreds of Vallejo products tomorrow. But I mostly paint with wet palettes, so Vallejo's dropper bottles are more suited to me anyway. GW abandoning Chaos Black, Skull White, Bleached Bone and many other paint names for no particular reason is only making that switch easier for me.

For others, like people who are fairly new to the hobby and painting, the re-organisation of the paint range might even be a good thing. What's your opinion on the new paint range and the name change?

No comments:

Post a Comment