Sunday 28 October 2012

Alternative Bitz for Thousand Sons

As you may know, I had a tough decision to make on which Chaos Legion I was going to play. I finally decided to play Death Guard and Daemons of Nurgle as I love the synergy effects (with Epidemius) and other cool options (Plague Zombies!). But before I made my decision, I was torn between Death Guard, the Thousand Sons and the Word Bearers. I was researching what models and bitz I could use other than the official GW miniatures (which aren't that many) for each of those Legions. So, today I want to give you my report for alternative bitz and models for the Thousand Sons.



Mecha Egyptian Heads

Thousand Sons players are very limited in their choice of miniatures and bitz to use. Although I like the Rubric Marines from Games Workshop, I think a bit of variety can't hurt. Those Mecha Egyptian Heads from MaxMini were definitely designed with the Thousand Sons in mind. I'd love to see those as helmets for Sorcerers or alternate Rubric variants.

Set of 10 available from maxmini.eu for €5.99


Steam Knight Helmets

The Steam Knight Helmets from MaxMini would make very good pre heresy helmets for Thousand Sons. Especially the one on the very left side. You can ask if you could have the left helmet only (I've done so with their pre heresy shoulder pads and they've done me the favor).

Set of 10 available from maxmini.eu for €5.65
Sorcerer Shoulder Pads

Those Sorcerer Shoulder Pads would look good - not only on sorcerers. PuppetWars also sell a Type "Termos" variant which might be shoulder pads for Terminator armour. But I am not 100 Percent sure.

Set of 10 available from puppetswar.eu for €7.00
Set of 5 (Type "Termos") available from puppetswar.eu for €5.50
Egyptian Shoulder Pads

Sciber sells a lot of Egyptian themed bitz that have Thousand Sons written all over them! Here are the shoulder pads.

Set of 8 available from sciborminiatures.com for €5.40
Egyptian Shields

I don't really know what to use those shields for but they look great.

Set of 6 available from sciborminiatures.com for €5.40
Egyptian Big Shields

I could imagine those bigger shields on Thousand Sons Terminators.

Set of 3 available from sciborminiatures.com for €5.40
Egyptian Decorated Plates

Decorated Plates for vehicles of the Thousand Sons.

Set available from sciborminiatures.com for €5.40
Egyptian Parts

Those Egyptian Parts could be used (i.e. I haven't seen or tried it yet) to make Thousand Sons Terminators with the signature Rubric headdress and additional armour plates for the shoulders.

Set available from sciborminiatures.com for €5.40
Egyptian Ruins Terrain

A lot of miniature companies sell desert terrain bases (Scibor has more in the terrain section e.g.) but those Egyptian Ruins are quite outstanding. They appear very easy to paint and make an impact on your desert battlefield.

Set of 4 available from sciborminiatures.com for €16.90
Pteruges

I know that pteruges are rather Roman than Egyptian but I think they could work on Rubric Marines, too.

Set of 10 available from maxmini.eu for €5.65
Books (dt. Bücher)

Thousand Sons are Sorcerers. And Sorcerers want to have a lot of books with spells and knowledge around (Especially Ahriman must own quite a few - as he is always looking for a certain library to return them).

Set of 8 books available from tabletop-art.eu for €6.00





That is my first collection of bitz and models. I'm thinking about making this a page that is expanded over time as I find new bitz and miniatures. I will do this for other Legions too - most definitely for the Death Guard and Daemons of Nurgle as they are my army project now.

PS: I get no money for linking those shop items. I just love collecting bitz and, obviously, writing about it :-)

1 comment: