Friday 30 March 2012

Dire Wolves Terminators (W.I.P.)

I love Terminators! They are big, they are mean and they simply look badass! So, no surprise that I want to add two Terminator squads, two Chaos Lords and one Chaos Sorcerer to my army. Again, like my Lesser Daemons, they might not be the most reasonable choice, pointwise. But they are a fun choice. And here is how I made them so far (they aren't finished yet - still work to do on the faces, beards, shields and other details):

I used parts from the Chaos Space Marines (CSM) Terminators, the Chaos Terminator Lord and Space Wolves (SW) Terminators to make my Dire Wolves Terminator squads. I only swapped the SW shields with the ones from the fantasy Chaos range (Chaos Knights and Chaos Warriors) and used different shoulder pads, that I ordered from the Polish bits and miniatures website MaxMini.eu.

The shoulderpads from MaxMini fit perfectly on any Games Workshop Terminator model

Maybe you remember the painting tutorial I did on my power armoured Dire Wolves. The Terminators, I painted differently. I am going to explain how:
  1. Prime the miniatures with a black spray primer and let them dry
  2. Lightly fog the miniatures with a white spray primer. In order to do that, go further away with your spray can as you would hold it for usual priming and spray the miniatures from a 45° angle (give or take). In the end it should look like light is falling on top of the miniatures. Hint: Do this outside! I mean it!
  3. Wash the armour parts of the miniatures with Asurmen Blue
  4. Wash the armour parts of the miniatures with Badab Black (especially if the blue turns out too saturated)
  5. Drybrush the edges of the armour with Shadow Grey
  6. Lightly drybrush the edges of the armour with Bleached Bone
  7. Very Lightly drybrush the edges of the armour with Skull White
The result looks very similar to the result I got when I drybrushed the miniatures before washing. I found that spraying is much easier, faster and more suited to my workflow. Why painfully paint what you also can spray paint on a miniature? Okay, I understand how one could have a different opinion on this, but I definitely need to learn airbrushing real soon ;-)

Speaking of soon, I don't know what the next post is going to be about. First, I'm trying to make some more photos of my miniatures and then I let you know.









No comments:

Post a Comment